Wood County authorities provide Holiday shopping safety tips
Written by Clayton Neville
Tuesday, 12 November 2013 07:59
From the Wood County Sheriff's Office
With the start of holiday shopping just around the corner, Wood County Crime Stoppers and Sheriff Jim Brown would like to offer the following tips for a safe shopping season:
Shopping in Stores
• Do not buy more than you can carry. Plan ahead by taking a friend with you or ask a store employee to help you carry your packages to the car.
• Save all receipts. Print and save all confirmations from your online purchases. Start a file folder to keep all receipts together and to help you verify credit card or bank statements as they come in.
• Consider alternate options to pay for your merchandise, such as onetime or multiuse disposable credit cards or money orders, at online stores and auction sites.
• Wait until asked before taking out your credit card or checkbook. An enterprising thief would love to shoulder surf to get your account information.
• Tell a security guard or store employee if you see an unattended bag or package.
Walking To and From Your Car
• Deter pickpockets. Carry your purse close to your body or your wallet inside a coat or front trouser pocket.
• Have your keys in hand when approaching your vehicle. Check the back seat and around the car before getting in.
• Do not leave packages visible in your car windows. Lock them in the trunk or, if possible, take them directly home.
Check back in coming weeks for more shopping safety tips for shopping with small children and shopping online.