Released by State Rep Dan Flynn
AUSTIN - Today, the Texas House of Representatives passed a number of legislative measures designed to protect the Second Amendment rights of Texas citizens and to enhance provisions of the Concealed Handgun License laws.
In response to the federal government's actions, and because of a desire to protect the rights of law-abiding gun owners, the House passed the following bills today either authored or supported by Representative Flynn:
* House Bills 47 and 48 are measures authored by Representative Flynn that provide a more efficient and effective concealed handgun licensing and renewal process for law-abiding Texans with use of the internet for renewals and ensuring safety and legal information continues to be provided to CHL holders in a timely manner.
* The "Firearms Protection Act," House Bill 1076 which seeks to proactively protect the Second Amendment rights of Texas citizens and the ability of our law enforcement officers to protect the public. The bill makes federal laws that restrict firearm ownership unenforceable within the state's boundaries.
* House Bill 1314 seeks to prevent the encroachment by the federal government on Second Amendment rights. The bill prevents the enforcement of federal laws that exceed the federal government's constitutional authority by creating a new offense for the unlawful seizure of a firearm.
* The "Campus Carry Bill," House Bill 972 will allow concealed handgun license holders to carry on the premises of public institutions of higher education. The goal of HB 972 is to provide students, faculty, and visitors on educational campuses the Second Amendment protections that may be necessary in life-threatening situations. This bill promotes the right of individuals to protect themselves, along with their fellow students and co- workers.
* House Bill 1304 seeks to remedy any ambiguity surrounding the proper concealment of a handgun by protecting a license holder from being penalized for accidentally displaying a handgun.
Alice Tripp, Legislative Director for the Texas State Rifle Association, praised Flynn's dedication to protecting Second Amendment rights, "We appreciate Representative Flynn's commitment to the Texas State Rifle Association and to Texas gun owners. His legislation is very important because it streamlines and enhances the concealed hand gun license process."
Representative Flynn added, "In Texas we have more than a decade and a half of data showing that CHL holders are far less likely to commit crimes and are eager for responsible use and carrying of weapons for the personal protection of themselves and their families and today we have ensured that tradition will continue. In addition, we have sent the federal government a message that federal intrusion in state's rights will not be taken lightly."
Today, Republicans continued their fight to protect the constitutional rights of all Texans by passing multiple measures that strengthen Second Amendment rights in our State. These measures further ensure the safety of Texans and their ability to protect themselves and their family.